These are the choices of activities you will be doing during your voluntary work time with YWAM Bethlehem.
1. We have a feeding scheme to the poor and we meet them on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Bambelela center in Bakenpark from 2:00-5:00pm among the Sothos and Afrikaans speaking colored community. Simple church format is followed before food distribution. Discipling and training local leaders is part of the ministry.
2. Wednesday and Friday afternoons teams/volunteers can do fun programs with the children and women. Suggested activities: kid stories and games, teaching the women handcraft skills like knitting, reading & writing and other working skills.
3. We also have ministry with Teenagers and Youth and they love to learn more about Dancing, Drama and Worship skills. The workshops can also be conducted in local churches. Schedule can be arranged.
4. We need volunteers to distribute boxes of donated clothes and usefull stuff to the poor and in the surrounding communities. Before distribution, the stuff need to be sorted out, washed and packed to look presentable.
5. Special ministries with children and youth: work with Street Kids, with Preschool Kids, with school kids on drugs and alcohol, in orphanages and shelters, and in schools open for campus ministry.
6. Visits to prisons, clinics/hospitals, HIV hospice and in the townships. We are allowed to run DTS courses in Prison.
7. We have access to several farms that allow us to do ministries with the farm workers and to plant churches. Places: Petrosteyn, Nonnashoek, etc.
8. We have been running mini-DTS programs in the communities. Operating Locations: Bakenpark, Lindley, Fouriesberg, Reitz and we keep multiplying all over Free State. We are in need of committed course leaders/staff for this program and we aim to run it at least 2x/year.
9. We have access to the Thibuloha Deaf and Blind school in Qwaqwa, especially outreach teams.
10. Visits to retired grannies and grandpas at a Shelter and do fun stuff with them.
Volunteers can also participate in the following exciting ministries:
Cooking, gardening, building, carpentry work, all forms of practical work on the base and in the community. You can get involved in special events planning, office work, playing musical instruments and leading in worship.
The costs for voluntary workers are as follows (1-3 months stay):
Covers food, accomodation (plus laundry and internet). Local transport will be own responsibility.
For 13 years and older:
Category A: $15/day or $450/month
Category B: $12/day or $360/month
Category C: $10/day or $300/month
For Kids 2-12 years old:
Category A: $11.25/day or $337.50/month
Category B: $ 9.00/day or $270.00/month
Category C: $ 7.50/day or $225.00/month
Pick up at airport cost R 3.50 per kilometer. The airport is 280 km from the base. So to go and come back is +/- $200 US. There are cheaper ways with Inter Cape Express or when several people arrive at same time.
At the moment, we have no base vehicles running. Best option is to hire private vehicle operators or a taxi and we can help you arrange with them. Their rates are affordable and it is more convenient and safe to use their transport services than venturing on your own.
NOTE: You can APPLY ONLINE or download Volunteer Application Forms.